Bellevue, the stately antebellum home, was built between 1852 and 1855 by Benjamin Harvey Hill for his wife, Caroline Holt Hill. It is a significant example of the "domesticated temple" form of Greek Revival-style architecture popular in the antebellum South. Many dignitaries, including Jefferson Davis, were entertained there. Bellevue became the home of the LaGrange Woman's Club in 1942 when the Fuller E. Callaway Foundation presented the mansion to the club. Bellevue is a National Historic Landmark.
Senator Hill was a graduate of the University of Georgia and after graduating he went to law school also at UGA. He then started a lucrative law practice in LaGrange . However, he is best known as being one of Georgia's greatest orators and was both a Confederate and U.S. Senator.
Caroline was the daughter of Cicero Holt and Emily Dougherty Moore of Athens, GA. She married Benjamin Harvey Hill in Athens, GA in 1845.
The LWC meets monthly at Bellevue. Organized in 1908, the club has a long history of community service. However, the primary concern now of the club is to maintain Bellevue. Funds for maintenance of this historic home come from guided tours, event rentals, projects of the LWC, and donations from individuals and organizations.
Bellevue is a beautiful place to host meetings, parties, bridal and baby showers, rehearsal dinners, receptions, and even weddings, either inside or outside. Just contact our resident host for more information.
Bellevue can handle events up to 125 people depending on the venue.